01 October 2009

Thursday, 1 October 2009 - Transition



I forgot to mention something about last evening.  It can be summed up by a comment made by a woman  as she rounded the corner from Via de Martelli onto Via de Cerratani, where one is suddenly confronted by the bulk of the Duomo, "Oh, my God...Holy Shit!" was her comment.  And that pretty much sums it up.  Last evening I walked around the cathedral - it exudes such power.  I think that is in part do to its sheer size and the fact that it is so hemmed in by the density that surrounds it.

So this morning, I got up, showered, had some breakfast, packed my bags, checked out, and left my luggage at the desk, and when to the cathedral.  I had mightily resisted going back in because there was so much else that I wanted to do.  This morning I could no longer resist.  If there is a simplicity at Santa Maria Novella it is even more so at Santa Maria della Fiori.  It is stunning in its mass (no pun intended) and in the space that it creates.  I'm glad I took the time to walk around.  I also went downstairs to look at the remains of the ancient church St. Reparata.

Then it was back to the hotel, get in a cab and get to the airport.  Uneventful flight, right over Meiringen, Switzerland again - great memories.  No troubles at Frankfurt and into Berlin.  Cab to the hotel - and there's Arthur.  We have a drink and then go to Giraffe for schnitzle-like things.  Arthur's pooped, and so am I.

No comments:

Post a Comment